Upon reviewing your tax returns, you sense something amiss. Suddenly, it dawns on you that an error on tax return was made, and you have already filed. While panic may set in initially, there’s no need to worry excessively. There are several steps you can take to rectify this mistake.

error on tax return

Unlocking the Solution: Correcting Tax Mistakes with ReFILE and Requesting Refunds for Previous Tax Seasons

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides a convenient solution known as ReFILE, allowing individuals to electronically amend previously filed taxes by correcting errors. This program enables corrections for up to 4 tax seasons. However, if your aim is to request an adjustment for a refund, you have the opportunity to go back as far as 10 tax seasons.


Alternate Methods for Error on Tax Return: Amending Taxes by Mail with Estimated 8-Week Wait Time

Alternatively, you can opt to correct your tax mistake by sending a request via mail, albeit with a minimum waiting period of 8 weeks. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will then notify you through a Notice of Reassessment, detailing the revised figures on your return. In some cases, they may seek further clarification or express disagreement with your update, communicating their review outcomes through a letter.

error on tax return

Avoiding Penalties: The CRA’s Voluntary Disclosure Program

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) offers the Voluntary Disclosure Program as an avenue to rectify errors in tax filings and potentially evade penalties. If you proactively approach the CRA before they discover the mistake you’ve identified, and it results in owing additional taxes, they will assess your situation on a case-by-case basis. The objective is to assist you in mitigating penalties that may arise from inaccurate tax reporting.

If you proactively approach the CRA before they discover an error you have identified in your tax filing, thereby resulting in owed taxes, they will individually assess your situation. The objective is to assist you in mitigating penalties associated with misrepresented tax filings, considering each case on its own merits.