Find Answers Here

Frequently Asked Questions

We are Ottawa-based Accounting and Bookkeeping Firm but we also offer Cloud Accounting and Bookkeeping Services in Canada. We ca help you no matter where you are located.

We prefer using QBO as it is the industry standard, but we are flexible to work with Sage, Quickbooks Desktop depending on the nature of your books.

We first have introductory call where we will discuss your current situation, issues and concerns, we will discuss your short and long term goals.

We will review the books to assess the current condition and define scope of work required to bring you to your ideal outcome.

Finally, we will have a follow up call to discuss different ways of working together.

A corporation is a separate legal entity from yourself which will have “Articles of Incorporation”, once you are incorporated you need to register for a business number and can also register a trade name.

Whereas, a Proprietorship means you are the business. You are able to operate a business, register for a business number and register a trade name, but still remain a proprietorship.

Go to www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myacount -- Then either "Sign in" or "Register" for an online profile.

If its your first time using this service, this may take few weeks to set up the account. Once your registration is completed, CRA security code will be mailed to you. Once you receive the code, you can enter it during the “My Account” registration process and gain access to your profile online.

The CRA “My Account” profile allows you to track your refund, view or change your returns, view your RRSP limit, change your address and much more.

An engagement letter must be signed by authorized representatives of both parties before it is considered to be a legally binding arrangement. Since this letter is treated as a contract, it should address the obligation of both parties.

For a non-resident selling property in Canada, the CRA’s requirement for the remittance of withholding tax is as follows:

The property purchaser is required to withhold 25% of the total purchase price, the seller is required to inform CRA of the proposed sale by filing a Certificate of Compliance. The CRA, on the receipt of this certificate, will bind the purchaser in releasing the amount withheld to the non-resident and then after the end of the calendar year, the non-resident is required to file a Canadian tax return to report the sale.

Why you should choose us

Ashton Tax offers personalized and friendly service, with knowledgeable staff that care about you!

Our Areas of Expertise

Our clients cover diverse industry sectors. Please see the following list for a sample of our clientele industry base. If you do not fall in any off these categories, Please reach out to us and our team of professionals will find the right solution for you.

Our Clients Reviews

Based on 13 reviews
Carter Jansen
Carter Jansen
As a former client of this business I must say that I was very disappointed in their customer service and work. I, like many others, were lured in by their "great reviews" (upon closer look, many fake). They were unreachable, very difficult to deal with, and very unprofessional. I also noticed that the manager treated their staff very harshly. As for their work, it was definitely not worth the money there are numerous other tax firms in Ottawa that do a better job.
Elaina Martin
Elaina Martin
great team and Corinne keeps the place running smoothly 🙂
Information Xocotla
Information Xocotla
I have been dealing with Ashton Tax for over 20 years and have always been pleased with their work. From looking after my personal accounting and taxes, for my business in Ottawa, and now my businesses in Nova Scotia and even Mexico, I know I can count on Maggie and her team to look after all of my needs. If I could rate Ashton Tax higher than 5 stars I certainly would.
Charissa Milousis
Charissa Milousis
I was recommended this firm to help complete my taxes as I thought that my taxes might be extra complicated for the past year. I initially felt good about this tax company as I felt that they would help me out a lot and do a good job, however, as I started to get around to everything I ended up needing to give them the final totals for all of my expenses rather than just give them the receipts and allow them to take care of it. So I ended up doing all of the grunt work myself which took me days and then they still ended up charging me a full $480 (which is apparently their base rate) when all they did was file the report. My mom mentioned afterwards that she gets all of her taxes done by a highly reputable company for $200 and she has a much more complicated return than I do. I am very unhappy and upset with the service that I received from this firm. I have been massively ripped off. This is very frustrating. I do NOT recommend this firm to anyone. I suggest you go somewhere else and ensure that your taxes will be completed diligently and not for a ridiculous amount of money.
Louis Derboghossian
Louis Derboghossian
Maggie Ashton est d'une grande compétence. Parfaitement bilingue, elle prend tout le temps d'expliquer, de vous éclairer sur certains points (notamment en ce qui a trait à la déclaration de revenus) qui vous auraient échappé. Toujours à l'écoute, elle est d'une patience d'ange et affiche à tout moment sa bonne humeur qui est communicative. Cela fait de longues années que je fais affaire avec Maggie et suis très, satisfait.
Gillian Depew
Gillian Depew
I started using Maggie's services a couple of years ago on the recommendation of a good friend, and I've never been more pleased with the financial and tax advice I've received! Maggie and her team are extremely knowledgeable, incredibly professional, and respond quickly with thorough and accurate information to all my questions. They provide strategic and practical advice tailored to my personal circumstances, frequently going above and beyond to help me understand my options and make the smartest choices I can make about how to make my money work for me. Last year, I also needed the services of a Financial Planner. I had spoken with a few potential planners but hadn’t found the right fit. Maggie was able to recommend her wife, Betty-Anne Howard, a Certified Financial Planner with Assante Financial Management Ltd. I had an introductory call with Betty-Anne and knew right away she was the perfect fit for me. Authorizing Maggie and Betty-Anne to share my information so as to work together resulted in some great strategies for achieving my tax planning, cash flow and financial planning goals all in one. I recommend Ashton Tax and Betty-Anne to anyone I know who is looking for excellent services at a reasonable price, delivered in a genuinely personable and results driven manner!
I have never used an accountant before, so I wasn't sure what to expect going in. Really appreciated their expertise during tax season. Between working in another province where I reside and the backlash from the federal government pay system, Maggie was able to walk me through the process and file my taxes appropriately. My visit could've been better if I had gotten a return from my taxes, but of course, that isn't their fault. Great atmosphere.
Kevin Hughes
Kevin Hughes
First time using an accountant and it has been a huge help. My tax situation was more complex than in the past and I was buying a house - I couldn't have done it all on time without their help. As a computer savvy person I was impressed with their options for securely transfering documents. I would highly recommend their services.
Julian Jamie Alessandroni
Julian Jamie Alessandroni
This is our second year having our small business and personal taxes done with Ashton Tax. FANTASTIC accounting firm. We drive quite far for their service and don't plan to change anytime soon.

Ashton Tax was established in 1987 and offers Accounting and Tax Services for individuals and small businesses in Ottawa.


Working Hours


Get In Touch

© 2023 Created with ashtontax.ca